Xabaca, hosted by the following organisations: NOVACT (Barcelona), Fundación Al Fanar (Madrid) and Jiwar Creation and Society (Barcelona) and is supported financially by the Catalan Agency for Development Cooperation. Xabaca seeks to empower Arab female artists as a source of social transformation and defenders of human rights and is now calling for applications for a one-month residency, to take place from 1-31 March 2017 at Jiwar in Barcelona (Spain).
Xabaca aims to help female Arab creators to play a role in social transformation through art, and support them through the two-fold oppression they face for being artists and for being women. Xabaca takes into account the importance of gender and repression as fundamental aspects of defending female Arab artists’ freedom of expression and creation.
The Xabaca project will be structured into two different areas:
- Artistic development, to enhance art and creativity as a means to combat gender discrimination, censorship and social injustice;
- Empowering activism-related aspects, to strengthen the abilities of the four female Arab artists to increase their role in social change.
The call is open to Arab female artists living and working in Morocco, Tunisia, Lebanon and Palestine, from all disciplines (visual arts, literature, music, performance, etc).
Four full scholarships covering 100% of the cost of the residency (travel plus accommodation), including artistic materials and an allowance of €400 per artist, are available. Support and counselling, as well as documentation for the project and digital publicity, will be provided. The four artists will also participate in workshops and in an international support network.
To apply, please send an email to email@example.com and include a digital dossier that contains the following information (in English, French or Arabic):
- A personal motivation letter to participate in the Xabaca project (maximum 1,000 characters without spaces);
- A statement/artist profile (maximum 1,000 characters without spaces);
- A proposal for the project to be carried out during the residency (maximum 1,500 characters without spaces), including technical requirements and objectives;
- An up-to-date CV;
- Three samples of your previous works (for video formats, please provide a link).
The deadline for submissions is 15 January, 2017.
Article produced in collaboration with Cineuropa